Everything You Must Know About Gas Line Repair in Carolina Forest, SC
Photo By wavebreakmedia at Shutterstock
Natural gas is a resource that is easily available and is widely used around the world. Its affordability and accessibility further add to its popularity. Although assumed to be a safe resource (and it mostly is), it can, at times, lead to disastrous events. Such risks are especially increased when gas line systems are neglected for long spans of time, which they usually are. Therefore, it’s better to always keep checks on your gas line systems and have regular gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC in order to avoid a much dreaded and highly fatal gas leak.
Homeowners are often unaware of a gas leaks on their property and end up using their stoves, and lighting matches and other flammable items near the leaks, which result in deadly consequences. Gas explosions are mostly catastrophic. Gas companies are only liable for the natural gas pipelines that run to the meter of your house. Homeowners, renters, or property managers are responsible for the maintenance and repair of the gas pipelines of their own properties. So, read on to know more about gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC so that you can take proactive measures in time and avoid any incident of a gas leak.
Why Should Residential Gas Lines be Repaired?
Did you know that natural gas is composed of harmful compounds that are detrimental to your health? Well, one of the by-products of natural gas is carbon monoxide (CO) gas, which is colorless and odorless. It is an extremely toxic gas that shouldn’t be inhaled in large quantities. You cannot detect CO gas on your own, and excessive exposure to it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. If you experience flu-like or viral infection symptoms alongside headaches or heavy-headedness, you should get professional help immediately.
Carbon monoxide poisoning from a leaking gas line also goes hand in hand with the risk of an explosion. After all, as mentioned earlier, natural gas is highlyflammable. It takes only the smallest flame to cause a huge explosion on your property. This is why you mustn’t overlook the importance of gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC.
Warning Indicators of a Gas Leak
It is very important to be able to interpret the different warning signs of a leaky gas line. Being able to detect leakages will allow you to take a prompt action to get the problem fixed. Gas line leakages may occur both inside and outside the house, and here are some signs that a gas leak presents:
- Hissing Sound: If you hear a hissing sound in your house, you should be on high alert as this could be the sound of gas escaping from a pipeline. This type of a sound can often be heard when the line has a hole or tear in it.
- Desiccated Grass: One of the most overlooked signs that show that you require gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC is dead grass. Sometimes, an underground damaged gas line can leak, which can cause the plants or the grass above the soil to get dehydrated.
- Rotten Egg Smell: Since natural gas itself does not have a particular smell of its own, the gas company adds Mercaptan, an additive that has a smell similar to that of rotten eggs. This is done to give natural gas a distinctive smell so that people are able to detect gas leakages immediately.
If you observe any such warning signs, then you should be on high alert and call a professional that deals in gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC.
Common Gas Line Problems That Need Urgent Repair
Some gas line problems can be detected immediately, such as bent lines that do not conduct the flow of gas efficiently. Such lines may eventually break. If you observe bent gas lines on or around your property, then gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC must be scheduled without much delay. Some other gas line problems that you might encounter are:
- Clogged gas lines that are not visible to the naked eye but are extremely dangerous. The clogs deter the passage of gas. This builds more pressure inside the pipes, which may later on cause a rip. Homeowners may be able to detect a leak in this case.
- Deteriorating joints and weakened connectors are also a major concern, which require the services of a gas line repair company in Carolina Forest, SC.
- Cracked seals due to dryness should never be neglected.
- Fittings and fixtures that were not measured accurately during installation are also immediately detectable and should be repaired if they are found be sized incorrectly.
Anyone of these problems can have life threatening consequences if they are not given immediate attention. Therefore, you should schedule routine inspections and call a professional for gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC to keep your loved ones protected.
Furthermore, if you have to execute any digging activities in your backyard, it is best to contact the gas utility company and identify the areas beneath which there is a natural gas pipeline passing through.
Safety Precautions for a Gas Line Leakage
Apart from the fact that you need to call a professional service to take care of your gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC, there are certain precautionary measures that you need to take care of when you notice that there is a gas line leakage. Firstly, shut off the main gas valve to cut the supply of natural gas. Then, make sure that you do not do the following:
- Use your cell phone when you are still in close proximity of the leakage.
- Light a flame, smoke, or use a matchstick.
- Locate the gas leak on your own.
You should also try to move a safe distance away from the house if you notice that there is significant gas leakage. It is also important to note that you should not try to repair a gas line on your own. The gas utility company must be called and you should contact a specialized local plumber.
Call Gas Line Repair Professionals
Are you afraid there might be a gas leak in your house? Or are you looking for gas line repair experts in Carolina Forest, SC for regular inspections? Well, whatever the case, you can stop looking, because BenjaminFranklin Plumbing is here to help you out. Not only do we have a long and successful history of providing excellent services but our 24/7 customer service and support is top of the line. To have someone inspect your property and carry out gas line repair in Carolina Forest, SC, contact us now at 843-213-6611.