Why Is My Water Bill So High? Call A Plumber | Conway, SC
Photo By Yuriy Pozdnikov at istock
You’re certain that you have properly budgeted your money for all your expenses, but you suddenly notice that your water bills are higher this month. What could be the problem? Below are some of the reasons why you have high water bills. Call a plumber in Conway, TX, if you’re having issues with your plumbing so they can help you fix it.
Common reasons why you’re getting higher water bills:
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, toilets are the single biggest source of water use indoors, which accounts for about 24% of the water that you use every single day. When your toilet leaks, it can waste up to 200 gallons of water just in one day. If you don’t call a plumber in Conway, SC, right away to help you fix the leak, imagine how much that would cost you in a month. Your water bill will suddenly skyrocket, and you’re wasting too much water.
There are several reasons why your toilet leaks. There could be a crack on either the toilet bowl or the tank — this can develop over time. Another reason for a leaky toilet is a worn-out seal or tank-to-bowl connections. When the flush valve is also misadjusted, that will also cause the toilet to leak. If the flapper is worn out, it will cause water to leak into the toilet bowl continuously.
To find out if you have a toilet leak, you can do the food coloring test. Put a few drops of food coloring into the tank and then wait for about 30 minutes. Make sure that no one is using the water for 30 minutes. When the water in the toilet bowl changes, it means that there is a toilet leak. Call a plumbing service right away so they can help you resolve the issue.
Apart from the toilet, faucets are also another culprit for high water bills. A dripping faucet that’s not fixed immediately can contribute to a higher water bill. One drip per second can waste about 3,000 gallons per year.
As a homeowner, you need to constantly check your plumbing and ensure that they’re in good condition. Watch out for leaks and fix them immediately. Postponing it only means that you’re wasting water and money. It will help if you buy some plumbing supplies that you can use for fixing minor issues. However, you do need to make sure that you know what you’re doing. Otherwise, get a plumber.
Homeowners also shouldn’t perform any major plumbing repairs on their own to avoid further damages or problems. You may fix small drips, but you need to do it right away to not waste water. Leaky faucets don’t resolve on their own. You either have to do something about it or call a plumbing service for assistance.
What type of bathroom and kitchen fixtures do you have in your home? Do you have the WaterSense label? How old are they? Outdated fixtures can also contribute to higher water bills. If you want to save water, consider installing high-efficient showerheads, faucets and other water fixtures. Modern fixtures are designed for water efficiency. Switching to high-efficient faucets can really help you conserve water and save money.
Speak with a plumber if you’re thinking about installing these fixtures for your home. You need a professional for installation to avoid problems from improper installation.
You’re Wasting Water
Sometimes, the reason why you’re getting higher water bills is you’re wasting water. Do you leave the faucet running while brushing your teeth? Are you taking especially long showers and don’t turn them off while shampooing your hair? What about doing laundry — do you always run the washing machine on full load? To conserve water and money, you also need to evaluate your water use habits. Cut down on your water usage and see significant changes in your bills.
Turn off the shower or faucet when you’re not using it. Make sure that you don’t run the washing machine or the dishwasher on half load. Don’t overwater your lawns. Small changes can bring about big results eventually.
Ways to Conserve Water
You can do a lot of things to conserve water at home and save money on your water bills. Check some of our tips below:
- Invest in high-efficient dishwashers, washing machines and garbage disposals. These types of appliances significantly use less water than their counterparts. You get to save water over time.
- Check for water leaks in your pipes, hoses and other plumbing fixtures or appliances. Call a plumbing service in Conway, SC, immediately when you detect that there’s a leak in your plumbing. A plumber can help you resolve the issue and prevent water damage and high water bills.
- Call a plumber and install a dual flush toilet for your home. Compared to the regular toilet, dual flush toilets use significantly less water.
- For your lawns, consider installing a rain barrel that you can use for watering outdoors. This can help you conserve water.
- Educate your family members on how to conserve water and encourage them to do the same. For example, you might ask them to take shorter showers or use a glass when brushing their teeth.
- If you’re washing the dishes by hand, make sure that you don’t leave the faucet running when rinsing. When you’re washing your car, make sure that you don’t run the hose. Use it only when rinsing.
- Educate yourself on how to properly conserve water in your home and commit yourself to it. You will be rewarded with lower water bills eventually.
Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Myrtle Beach
Do you need a plumber in Conway, SC? Let us know! Our plumbers are available 24/7 and always ready to help you. Whether you need regular or emergency plumbing service we can assist. Our plumbers are licensed and qualified to tackle any plumbing job. Call us today for an appointment.